Bikeetching

Bikeetching

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day 45 Saratoga to Muddy Gap WY

UDay total 86
Trip total 2,529

The last two nights I have told Nik "today was my favorite day of biking." He rolls his eyes and says you say that every night. Well tonight I did not say that. Today was not my favorite day of biking. I would say it was my least favorite but that would require me to remember too far back. Wyoming winds were wilding today and right in our faces for most of the day, that combined with bad roads and relentless desolation made it a tough day.

Wyoming has been the first state where we have over lapped with the Trans America Trail (that is the route most people take, west to east, when they bike cross country because it is direct, the prevailing wind are more often at your back, and it brings through Americana beauty). For us this means (despite that last factor our route is nothing like transamerica), we are now running into other crazy cross country cyclists. This was fortunate because a couple we meet this morning (from Maine) let us know that you can camp behind a gas station in Muddy Gap WY. As this is the only available lodging till Lander 85 miles away this information was golden.

So we are camping there now, I would say it is definitely one of our more interesting camping situations, but the views of the mountains are still good.

For fear of this blog post sounding to down let me share with you the list of positives I have got about Wyoming so far;

Majestic landscapes
All the colors of the plains
Wild flowers
Cool yet sunny comfortable weather
No humidity
NO mosquitos (the wind is good for something)
Friendly people (although most of them are originally from Colorado, and came to WY because CO is getting too crowded, legalized weed and all)
Elk beef jerky  (truth, I don't know if this is a positive because I have not tried it yet but there is still time:)

1 comment: