Bikeetching

Bikeetching

Monday, June 29, 2015

Day 3 from Nik

Day total 82

Trip total 233

When you are traveling, there is rain, and then there is RAIN.  Last night it RAINED. It was enough that we were worried that if it continued into the day  we would have to wait in New Haven for a day.  It was a little early for a first rest day and as our hosts said, New Haven is at best: meh.

Fortunately the rain abated a bit, so on a very misty morning we set off along the northern edge of the Long Island Sound. This section wasn't too long or hilly but it required checking the map every ten minutes or so due to there being no single road from New Haven to New York but rather a conglomeration of small towns strung together along the way.

That being said, and despite the constant drizzle, the ride was quite lovely. We did learn a lesson: if Google Maps steers you off a direct route for one slightly less direct, it is probably taking you around a hill.

Side notes from Molly
We made it to New York  City, Inwood to be exact, which was absolutely surreal to arrive somewhere by bicycle that I have traveled to so many times before my virtually everyother means of transit; bus, train, car, plane.

The part about this particular leg of the trip was the transitions between areas. A fasinating facet of biking is the view it gives you in between the places eveyone usually deives through or flies over. When you are biking you are acutely aware of the transition beyween say Greenwich CN and Port Chester NY (although because of our route there was no "Welcome to New York" sign so you will just have to take our word thst we are in fact one or third state of the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Dear dear travelers,
    In my mind, NYC was your launch point. As your first home town together, seems to me that you biked there to begin your adventures into the less known. Not that I'm obsessed, but I do check your blog morning and night and if I don't find a new posting and photo I can climb into and ride with you for awhile, I start at the beginning Nate story and reread each of them. Noticed that not many of us were commenting (thanks, Sam, for getting me started) so thought I'd try. While I do like having most of my tupperware containers back in my kitchen, and the Prius is acclimating once again to our driveway, what I most look forward to each day is hearing from you, your little stories and your "wide open" photos. love, Mary/Mom

    ReplyDelete